There are several ways to help strengthen your immune system. The most effective way is to choose a healthy lifestyle. One attribute of your lifestyle is diet.
There are certain foods that can help you strengthen your immune system.
- Blueberries has antioxidant properties that can help boost the immune system.
- Dark chocolate contains an antioxidant called theobromine, which protects cells in the body from free radicals, which in turn helps to boost the immune system.
- Turmeric contains curcumin which has antioxidant and anti-inflammatory effects.
- Oily fish such as Salmon, tuna, pilchards, and other oily fish are rich sources of omega-3 fatty acids which may reduce the risk of rheumatoid arthritis.
- Broccoli is a source of vitamin C and potent antioxidants, such as sulforaphane. Both of them support immune health.
- Sweet potatoes are rich in beta carotene, a type of antioxidant and a source of vitamin A.
- Spinach contains many essential nutrients and antioxidants, including flavonoids, carotenoids, vitamin C, vitamin E
- Ginger has anti-inflammatory and antioxidative properties.
- Garlic contains Allicin which supports our immune system.
- Green tea contains flavonoids, which may strengthen the immune system.
- Kefir is a fermented drink that contains live cultures of bacteria that may boost immune system, reduce inflammation, and increase antioxidant activity.
- Sunflower seeds are a rich source of vitamin E, an antioxidant, which improve immune function.
- Almonds are an excellent source of vitamin E, manganese, magnesium, and fiber which are all beneficial to the immune system.
- Oranges or Kiwi fruits are excellent sources of vitamin C.
- Red bell peppers is a source of vitamin C.
In addition to the above foods, we can also boost our immune systems by avoiding smoking, exercising regularly, maintaining a healthy weight, avoiding alcohol or drinking in moderation, getting enough sleep, minimizing stress and practicing correct hand-washing and oral hygiene.