Healthy Weight DNA Insight
Help your patients combat obesity and its associated health hazards
Healthy Weight DNA Insight® is a comprehensive test aimed at assisting physicians in treating obese and overweight patients. It tests for a variety of genetic markers that have been found to influence diet, metabolism and exercise-related traits, as well as weight-related health conditions and medications.
Pathway Genomics provides individual answers for your patient’s unique weight management needs. Results are returned in just 2-3 weeks.
For overweight or obese patients, Healthy Weight DNA Insight® may help with:
- Developing a patient-specific weight management plan
- Making recommendations to improve overall health and wellness
- Working to maximize energy levels
Obesity Epidemic and Genetics
According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), over one-third of U.S. adults are obese as defined as having a body mass index (BMI) above 30. Being at an unhealthy weight increases an individual’s risk of developing many serious health conditions, including heart disease, stroke, type 2 diabetes and certain types of cancer. Fortunately, obesity is reversible with close monitoring of nutrition and appropriate exercise. In addition, an individual’s genetic makeup can influence how his/her body utilizes energy and nutrients, responds to exercise and medications, and affects the risk of developing certain health conditions.
Clinical Implementation for Patients
A patient’s unique genetic profile provided in the Healthy Weight DNA Insight® test empowers physicians with actionable information to guide their patients with weight management goals and to improve their overall health.
What is tested?
- Eating disinhibition
- Food desire
- Satiety – feeling full
- Sweet tooth
- Diabetes, type 2
- Venous thrombosis
- Clopidogrel metabolism (Plavix)
- Simvastatin-induced myopathy
- Endurance training
- HDL (good) cholesterol response to exercise
- Insulin sensitivity response to exercise
Weight and Diet
- Genetic risk for decreased adiponectin
- Genetic risk for decreased omega-6 and omega-3
- Matching diet type
- Response to monounsaturated fats
- Response to polyunsaturated fats
- Weight loss – regain
Metabolic Health Factors
- Genetic risk for decreased HDL cholesterol
- Genetic risk for elevated LDL cholesterol
- Genetic risk for elevated triglycerides
- Genetic risk for decreased vitamin A
- Genetic risk due to decreased vitamin B2
- Genetic risk for decreased vitamin B6
- Genetic risk for decreased vitamin B12
- Genetic risk for decreased vitamin C
- Genetic risk for decreased vitamin D
- Genetic risk for increased vitamin E
- Genetic risk for decreased folate
Healthy Weight DNA Insight® is intended for people who want to learn more about their genetics in order to leverage this information to manage and optimize their weight and overall wellness, as well as to understand their potential risks for common health conditions.
Healthy Weight DNA Insight Sample Report: click here.
Healthy Weight DNA Insight® can be ordered from a licensed and registered physician or other qualified healthcare provider. Physicians can request test kits here.
Once the physician has ordered the test, a Pathway Genomics sample kit will be sent for sample collection.
Pathway Genomics processes and analyzes the submitted sample in its CLIA certified and CAP accredited laboratory. Typically within two to three weeks, the patient’s personalized results will be available to the ordering physician. The results will then be released to the patient. Pathway Genomics has a team of genetic counselors available to ensure that both the patient and the physician understand the information in the report, and to answer additional questions. To contact a Pathway Genomics genetic counselor, please call client services department at +1 714-864-3730 or email firstname.lastname@example.org